Throughout the ever changing COVID-19 Pandemic Crisis the team at United Way of Eastern Maine has worked closely with the Eastern Maine CA$H Coalition to streamline a processing system for those still interested in receiving assistance from our IRS Certified Tax Preparers in filing simple returns.
We know that many in our community are struggling financially due to COVID-19 Pandemic. We are committed as an organization to helping Eastern Maine community members receive their refunds, since added income at this juncture is essential in these uncertain times.
The Governor has announced that the State of Maine filing deadline will be extended until July 15th, 2020 due to delays from the Coronavirus. Those individuals who are still interested in receiving assistance with Tax Preparation are now being instructed to please mail your returns and the essential documents listed below to:
United Way of Eastern Maine
Attn: Eastern Maine CA$H
PO Box 1387
Bangor, ME 04402
Here is the list of essential items to include in your mailings:
What To Mail
- Cover sheet with name, phone number, address, and social security numbers for you, your spouse, and all dependents
- Copies of ALL W-2, 1098, 1099 forms and the amount of other income received by you and your spouse
- If applicable, bring proof of Social Security statements, college tuition and expenses, property taxes or rent paid, broker statements, mortgage interest, charitable donations, car and other exise taxes, medical expenses, or bank interest
- Child care provider’s address and tax identification number for Child/Dependent Care Credit
- YOU CAN DIRECT DEPOSIT YOUR REFUND! Proof of account number for direct deposit is needed. ALSO, be sure you have the correct financial institution routing number for the account in which you wish to deposit funds.
- It is no longer necessary to provide proof of health insurance coverage, so please do not send this information
- PLEASE NOTE: All mail will be quarantined for 48 hours once received. Once opened, one of our intake specialists will be calling you at the number listed on your cover sheet to complete the required IRS intake form over the phone. They will identify themselves as being with Eastern Maine CA$H. This call will take approximately 15-20 minutes, depending on the complexity of your return. If you have any concern about the validity of the call, please call our office at 941-2800. We will help you to verify that the call is coming from one of our intake specialists.
PROCRASTINATOR’S DAY – FREE TAX PREP EVENT – Our Procrastinator’s Day Event originally scheduled for April 11th, 2020 at the UMA Bangor Campus has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The Eastern Maine CA$H (Creating Assets, Savings, and Hope) Program serves over 4,500 people in Penobscot, Piscataquis, Hancock, Waldo, and Washington Counties by preparing their tax returns and connecting them to financial resources. Last year alone, Eastern Maine CA$H brought back over $3.5 million in refunds to people in our Eastern Maine communities and saved our clients a total of $750,000 in tax preparation costs! The best part is, this service is completely FREE!
Thanks to generous grants, we are able to provide highly trained, IRS certified tax preparation to anyone who makes $56,000 or less, is disabled, struggles with literacy, or speaks limited English. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
In addition to free tax preparation, we can help folks access financial resources by connecting them with our partners who provide help with budgeting, home buying, student loans, improving credit, reducing debt, heating and energy costs, going back to school, savings, legal services, and much more!
Learn more at: https://www.cashmaine.org/coalition/eastern-maine/