Throughout the ever changing COVID-19 Pandemic Crisis the team at United Way of Eastern Maine has worked closely with the Eastern Maine CA$H Coalition to streamline a processing system for those still interested in receiving assistance from our IRS Certified Tax Preparers in filing simple returns.
We know that many in our community are struggling financially due to COVID-19 Pandemic. We are committed as an organization to helping Eastern Maine community members receive their refunds, since added income at this juncture is essential in these uncertain times. Due to circumstances beyond our control we will not be processing past years returns and will only be able to accept returns from the 2019 tax season.
The Governor has announced that the State of Maine filing deadline will be extended until July 15th, 2020 due to delays from the Coronavirus. The last day for filing returns by mail will be JUNE 1st , 2020. Please note this update and plan to mail ahead of the scheduled cut-off. Those individuals who are still interested in receiving assistance with your 2019 Tax Preparation are now being instructed to please mail your returns and the essential documents listed below to:
United Way of Eastern Maine
Attn: Eastern Maine CA$H
PO Box 1387
Bangor, ME 04402
Here is the list of essential items to include in your mailings:
What To Mail
- Cover sheet with name, phone number, address, and social security numbers for you, your spouse, and all dependents. Please do not staple forms together before mailing.
- Copies of ALL W-2, 1098, 1099 forms and the amount of other income received by you and your spouse
- If applicable, bring proof of Social Security statements, college tuition and expenses, property taxes or rent paid, broker statements, mortgage interest, charitable donations, car and other exise taxes, medical expenses, or bank interest
- Child care provider’s address and tax identification number for Child/Dependent Care Credit
- YOU CAN DIRECT DEPOSIT YOUR REFUND! Proof of account number for direct deposit is needed. ALSO, be sure you have the correct financial institution routing number for the account in which you wish to deposit funds.
- It is no longer necessary to provide proof of health insurance coverage, so please do not send this information
- PLEASE NOTE: All mail will be quarantined for 48 hours once received. Once opened, one of our intake specialists will be calling you at the number listed on your cover sheet to complete the required IRS intake form over the phone. They will identify themselves as being with Eastern Maine CA$H. This call will take approximately 15-20 minutes, depending on the complexity of your return. If you have any concern about the validity of the call, please call our office at 941-2800. We will help you to verify that the call is coming from one of our intake specialists.
PROCRASTINATOR’S DAY – FREE TAX PREP EVENT – Our Procrastinator’s Day Event originally scheduled for April 11th, 2020 at the UMA Bangor Campus has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The Eastern Maine CA$H (Creating Assets, Savings, and Hope) Coalition, an initiative of the United Way of Eastern Maine, provides free tax preparation and financial coaching services for low to moderate income individuals and families living in Penobscot, Piscataquis, Hancock, Washington, and Waldo Counties.