We are currently Hiring for a Site Coordinator (Penobscot County)
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Eastern Maine CA$H VITA Site Coordinator, Penobscot County
Time Commitment: January – April, approximately 15 – 40 hours per month
Hourly Wage: $20/hour; mileage reimbursement at .58 cents per mile, not to exceed 1,500 miles
The United Way of Eastern Maine (UWEM) and the Eastern Maine CA$H (Creating, Assets, Savings, and Hope) Coalition are seeking a well-organized and independent leader to serve as the Tax Site Coordinator for the Penobscot County VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program. This person will be responsible for overseeing our IRS VITA tax sites throughout Penobscot county, which offer free federal and state income tax preparation for qualifying families and individuals from February – April. With the guidance of the Community Initiatives Manager, this individual will manage the existing “Virtual VITA” program in Penobscot County with a goal of increasing participation.
The Site Coordinator will coordinate and confirm tax document drop off sites for the 2020 season. The Coordinator will recruit, schedule, and manage volunteer tax preparers for the 2020 season, ensuring all volunteers have obtained the necessary certifications. The coordinator will provide regular reports to UWEM to support IRS reporting requirements, conduct Quality Reviews of returns completed by fellow volunteers, be the go-to resource for client questions, and assist with tax preparation as necessary. Comfort and experience working with computers and web based reporting programs is highly beneficial.
Successful applicants will have reliable transportation and a flexible schedule, and be passionate about helping low income individuals and families achieve financial stability. This is a seasonal position, and if successful, the site coordinator would have the opportunity to return each tax season.
This is a volunteer position with a wage of $20/hour, and mileage reimbursement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Administer and coordinate Penobscot county tax document drop off sites operated by United Way of Eastern Maine and the Eastern Maine CA$H Coalition
• Manage all aspects of the sites to ensure superior quality and service to clients
• Answer client questions and/or refer them to the appropriate resource
• Manage all volunteers and coordinate scheduling
• Ensure adherence to United Way and IRS policies, procedures, standards of operations and guideline
• Ensure compliance with tax laws when preparing federal and state income tax returns
• Ensure compliance with IRS privacy and confidentiality policies
• Ensure that all IRS, UWEM, and CA$H Maine forms are completed
• Successful completion of the IRS advanced course is required to provide quality control, support, and guidance to volunteers
• A general understanding of income tax preparation is helpful but not required; paid IRS-sponsored training will be provided
• Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, and display a supportive and professional disposition with diverse populations
• Reliable transportation to drive to each tax site and transport all necessary equipment as needed
• Comfort with technology (computers, software, internet platforms, etc.)
• Self-motivated with high degree of flexibility, creativity, organization, and independence
• Ability to maintain confidentiality for clients
• Flexible schedule (some assignments will require weekend/evening work)
To apply, please send your resume and short cover letter to Meredith at email@example.com.
About our Team
At United Way of Eastern Maine (UWEM) we imagine a community where no one struggles to meet their basic needs. Where ALL people are fed, housed and stable. Everyone is safe. Treatment and recovery is accessible to all; without stigma. All parents/caregivers can enroll their children in high quality care settings. Our youth are engaged and resilient. Most importantly we are leading the charge toward this vision TOGETHER, as a community. Are you in?
Our staff team is “all in” to further United Way of Eastern Maine’s mission and increase our investment in activities that support the three Opportunity 2028 Bold Goals, a ten-year community change initiative set by the community and led by United Way of Eastern Maine:
- Meet basic needs and promote self-sufficiency for all
- Prevent, treat, and support recovery from Substance Use Disorder
- Ensure all children have quality early learning experiences
To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, vacation and holiday pay, and paid sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Eastern Maine offers:
- A true team atmosphere full of hard workers that know how to have fun
- A culture of continuous improvement, innovation and creativity
- Regular opportunities for professional development
- Wellness benefit
- Personal and floating holidays
- Paid time to volunteer
- A great team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community
Diversity and inclusion are vital to achieving our mission, living our values and advancing the common good. We seek to promote these core values as an employer and in the communities in which we work. UWEM fosters and promotes an inclusive environment that leverages the unique contributes of diverse individuals and organizations in all aspects of our work. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities, and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
The United Way of Eastern Maine is an equal opportunity employer.